Friday, February 26, 2016

Day 11- I am Strong

I am strong!

Ok, so I don't fully believe that statement, yet... But looking back at my life, I can see that it is true. The things I have been through are proof that I am strong and am getting stronger.

I got married at 18. It ended up being a bad situation. I spent 3 years being emotionally, verbally, and physically abused. He was also a "gas-lighter" (I had never known this term until lately, but when I read about it I felt like I was reading exerts from my first marriage). During those 3 years I felt weak. I didn't feel I could leave. I didn't feel like I deserved better. Little by little I got stronger, until I finally was able to leave him. Due to the emotional control, that was the most difficult thing I had ever faced. I am stronger because of it, though.

During my divorce and one other time (the tragic death of a close friend) I actually felt like I couldn't survive it. Yet, I did. I may have felt weak while it was happening, but all these years later I am able to see that I wasn't weak. I was only going through the normal grieving process. I worked past it and that shows just how strong I am. I have become more emotionally strong because of those (and many other) experiences.

I have also become physically strong! I may not be as strong as I want to be, but when I compare myself to how I was before- I sure am strong!

Last year I completed two obstacle mud races and a 5k. This year I am going to do the Spartan again and this year I am training more so I know I will be do better than last year.

It is exciting to look ahead at the goals I have set and know I can accomplish, but it is also a great feeling to look back on my life and see how far I have come, how strong I have become. I may not always realize it, I may not always believe it, but it is true. I am strong and am continually getting stronger. The only one I need to compare myself to is ME. So far, I am beating my old self by a huge margin. Soon I won't even be able to look back and see my old self, just the newer "old self".

I'd like to end with a couple quotes from two very wise men.

“You are not competing with anyone else. You are only competing with yourself to do the best with whatever you have received.”
~L. Tom Perry

“If today you are a little better than yesterday, then that’s enough.”
~David A. Bednar

No comments:

Post a Comment